Bombs in southern Thailand kill 14, wound 341Associated Press
– 31 March 2012 – Suspected Muslim insurgents staged the most deadly coordinated attacks in years in Thailand's restive south, killing 14 people and wounding 340 with car bombs that targeted Saturday shoppers and a high-rise hotel frequented by foreign tourists…Yemen Army Clashes With Al-Qaeda Leave at Least 30 DeadBloomberg
– 31 March 2012 at 10:48 ET – At least 17 Yemeni soldiers and 13 suspected al-Qaeda militants were killed in heavy fighting today in the southern province of Lahj, a military official said….Yemen clashes ‘leave dozens dead' in southBBC News
– 31 March 2012 at 10:21 ET – Some 30 people have been killed in clashes between suspected al-Qaeda militants and the army in Yemen's south…Yemen: Airstrikes Kill 4 Al-Qaida Militants
New York Times
- 30 March 2012 - An airstrike killed four al-Qaida militants on Friday in a southern district of Yemen that has been under the group's control for around a year...Moving Ahead With Sanctions to Squeeze Iran
- 30 March 2012 - President Barack Obama is moving ahead with tough new sanctions aimed at squeezing Iran's oil exports after determining there is enough crude on world markets to take the step without harming U.S. allies...U.S. drone strike kills 4 militants in North-Western Pakistan
- 30 March 2012 - A U.S. drone strike killed four suspected militants and wounded three others on Friday in Pakistan's North Waziristan tribal region near the Afghan border...Japan Orders Interception of NKorean Rocket
- 30 March 2012 - Japan's defense minister on Friday ordered missile units to intercept a rocket expected to be launched by North Korea next month if it flies over Japan...Somali Islamists 'lose Deynile airport' near Mogadishu
- 30 March 2012 at 9:51 ET - African Union troops in Somalia say they have seized a key militant area, including a airstrip and hospital, on the outskirts of the capital...Who is France's ‘Big Bang' physicist turned ‘terrorist'?France 24
– 30 March 2012 – Franco-Algerian physicist Adlène Hicheur went on trial Thursday accused of plotting terrorist attacks in a case that has shattered one of France's most promising scientific careers and rekindled fears of homegrown terrorism....19 Arrested in French police raids, Sarkozy saysCNN
– 30 March 2012 at 7:17 EDT – Nineteen people have been arrested in a series of police raids on suspected Islamists, French President Nicolas Sarkozy told French radio Friday morning....Activists: Fresh Clashes Erupt in Northern SyriaNew York Times
– 30 March 2012 at 6:55 ET – Fresh clashes between Syrian soldiers and rebels erupted Friday as the country's relentless violence overshadowed hopes for a peace plan brokered by U.N. envoy Kofi Annan....Afghan police officers killed in Paktika provinceBBC News
– 30 March 2012 at 5:46 ET – Nine Afghan police officers have been shot dead by a colleague in the eastern Paktika province, Afghan police sources have said...North Korea satellite pictures show rocket launch preparationsThe Guardian
– 29 March 2012 at 22:58 EDT – Satellite imagery appears to show preparations beginning for a long-range rocket launch in North Korea despite international objections....Militia leaders plead guilty to gun chargesChristian Science Monitor
– 29 March 2012 – A Michigan militia leader and his son pleaded guilty Thursday to possessing a machine gun, giving prosecutors their only gain in a domestic terror trial that was upended when the judge dismissed charges of plotting war against the government....On the Run, Bin Laden Had 4 Children and 5 Houses, a Wife SaysNew York Times
– 29 March 2012 – Osama bin Laden spent nine years on the run in Pakistan after the Sept. 11 attacks, during which time he moved among five safe houses and fathered four children...Terrorists, Organized Crime Increase Teaming EffortsSignal Magazine
– 29 March 2012 – Securing the homeland will require closer cooperation among military and civilian government organizations as diverse threats adopt each others' tactics and techniques...Pro-Somali troops under scrutinyUPI
– 29 March 2012 – Fighters loyal to the transitional government in Somalia are suspected of torture and summary executions, Human Rights Watch said...Russia Caucasus Insurgent Leader Reported KilledRadio Free Europe
– 27 March 2012 – Russia's National Counterterrorism Committee has reported the killing by security forces of a suspected leader of the Islamic insurgency in the Republic of Kabardino-Balkaria...Blasts as Baghdad opens Arab summit on Syria peace planBBC News
– 29 March 2012 at 7:47 ET – Arab leaders have begun talks on a UN-backed peace plan for Syria at the first major international summit to be hosted by Iraq in decades....Doctor who helped track bin Laden sackedDawn
– 29 March 2012 – The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) government on Thursday sacked a surgeon recruited by the CIA to help track al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, officials said....Algeria Refuses French Gunman's Body for BurialNew York Times
– 29 March 2012 at 7:15 ET – Algerian authorities have refused to allow the body of an al Qaeda-inspired gunman who killed seven people in France this month to be sent there for burial...Ukraine, NATO working on soccer securityUPI
– 29 March 2012 – Ukraine says it's working with NATO on anti-terrorism measures for this summer's Euro 2012 European Football Championships...Anti-terror chief: French militant suspected in attack on Indonesian embassyStar Tribune
– 29 March 2012 – A French militant was allegedly involved in last week's package bomb explosion at the Indonesian Embassy in Paris, Indonesia's anti-terrorism chief said Thursday....Activity seen at North Korea launch siteCNN
– 28 March 2012 at 18:00 ET – A new satellite image has captured increased activity on North Korea's launch pad as the country prepares for its controversial missile launch in mid-April....Refugees Say Neighbor Shoots Neighbor in Syrian CrackdownNew York Times
– 28 March 2012 – Sunni Muslims who have fled Syria described a government crackdown that is more pervasive and more sectarian than previously understood, with civilians affiliated with President Bashar al-Assad's minority religious sect shooting at their onetime neighbors...Syrian violence ignores peace diplomacy
28 March 2012 at 14:18 EDT - Syrian forces bombarded cities and towns in southern and northern Syria on Wednesday and stormed villages, forcing thousands to flee after President Bashar al-Assad accepted a peace plan calling for the army to withdraw to barracks....French Shooter Had Split With Wife
New York Times
- 28 March 2012 at 13:54 ET - The 23-year-old man who claimed responsibility for a killing spree in southern France had separated from his wife days before the attacks and was suffering "psychological difficulties," his lawyer said....Body of French Gunman May Be Sent to Algeria for Burial
New York Times
- 28 March 2012 at 9:59 ET - The body of an al Qaeda-inspired gunman who killed seven people in a shooting rampage in southwest France will be flown to Algeria on Thursday if the country agrees to receive it...Syria authorities target children, says UN rights chiefBBC News
– 28 March 2012 at 7:57 ET – Syrian authorities are systematically detaining and torturing children, the United Nations' human rights chief, Navi Pillay...Afghan Defense Ministry Denies Bomb PlotNew York Times
– 28 March 2012 at 6:47 ET – Afghanistan strongly rejected reports that some soldiers working at the defense ministry were involved in a bomb plot, saying no arrests had been made nor were any vests used for suicide bomb attacks found on the premises...Key charges dropped against Hutaree militiaDetroit News
– 28 March 2012 – Seven Hutaree militia members were acquitted Tuesday of conspiring against the United States, a stunning victory in a First Amendment battle that raised questions about the government's handling of a high-profile terror case....Christian militia acquitted of sedition in USAl Jazeera
– 28 March 2012 – A federal judge in Michigan has thrown out most of a high profile case against a US Christian-based militia group, saying prosecutors failed to prove that members of the Hutaree were doing more than talking about their hatred of the government....Saudi diplomat kidnapped in south YemenAFP
– 28 March 2012 – Saudi Arabia's deputy consul in Yemen's southern port city of Aden was seized by unknown gunmen outside his home on Wednesday...Ransom payments and terror: how freeing hostages helped a Taliban leader who threatens the UKTelegraph
– 28 March 2012 – It always comes down to the money. Judith Tebbutt's release from the clutches of Somali pirates is a reminder that sometimes a dodgy deal with a bunch of thugs is the only way to secure a hostage's freedom...FBI warrant: Iraqi's roadside bomb diagrams were crude, but workableWashington Post
– 27 March 2012 – An Iraqi refugee who later pleaded guilty to 23 terrorism-related charges drew multiple diagrams of roadside bombs he used in Iraq between 2003 and 2006, and investigators concluded that explosives built to the specifications in the drawings would have worked...Sect Blamed for Killing 2 in Northeast Nigeria
New York Times
- 27 March 2012 at 13:23 ET - Suspected gunmen from a radical Islamist sect killed two retired prison officers in northeast Nigeria...Al-Jazeera TV station has video footage that appears to show killings in southwestern FranceWashington Post
– 27 March 2012 at 7:48 ET – Al-Jazeera has received video footage that appears to show the deadly attacks on soldiers and a Jewish school in southwestern France, including the cries of the victims and the voice of the perpetrator....Annan Says Syria Accepts Peace Plan, Fighting Enters LebanonNew York Times
– 27 March 2012 at 7:38 ET – Syria has accepted a ceasefire and peace plan drawn up by U.N. and Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan, his spokesman said on Tuesday, even as Syrian troops thrust into Lebanon to battle rebels...Obama: U.S., Pakistan share common goalsUPI
– 27 March 2012 at 7:21 ET – Despite recent strains in U.S.-Pakistan relations, both countries are interested in stability and security in the region...Al-Jazeera TV station considers airing Toulouse shooting video footageTelegraph
– 27 March 2012 – Al-Jazeera has received video footage that appears to show the deadly attacks on soldiers and a Jewish school in Toulouse, with Nicolas Sarkozy stating it should not be broadcast....Turkey ex-army chief rejects coup plot chargesAFP
– 27 March 2012 – Turkish ex-army chief Ilker Basbug on Tuesday rejected terrorism charges against him and refused to mount a defence in his trial for seeking to overthrow the government...Spain reports arrest of al Qaeda suspectCTV
– 27 March 2012 at 6:18 ET – Spanish police say they have arrested a suspected member of al Qaeda in the eastern city of Valencia...NATO says kills senior militant in AfghanistanReuters
– 27 March 2012 at 5:13 EDT – Afghan special forces and NATO troops have killed a senior commander of the al Qaeda-linked Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU) in northwestern Afghanistan, the NATO force said on Tuesday....Afghan arrests after authorities foil ‘suicide attack'BBC News
– 27 March 2012 at 3:30 ET – Sixteen people have been arrested in the Afghan capital, Kabul, after plans for an apparent mass suicide attack were foiled....Seoul Summit: US, South Korea and China Highlight Nuclear Terror ThreatInternational Business Times
– 27 March 2012 – A near united voice was raised at the global nuclear security summit at Seoul as world leaders echoed the need for tackling the threat of nuclear arms falling into the hands of terrorists....For U.S. Analysts, Rethinking the Terror ThreatKERA
– 26 March 2012 – There has been a subtle shift taking place in the intelligence community in recent months....Cabbie Admits: I Shot Them Because They Were JewsWPIX
– 26 March 2012 at 18:52 EDT – The still-grieving mother of a 16-year old Orthodox Jewish boy, who was killed when his student van was shot up on the Brooklyn Bridge in March 1994, reacted Monday to the public revelation...Colombia forces 'kill 32 Farc rebels' in Meta
- 26 March 2012 at 14:53 ET - Colombia's armed forces have killed at least 32 Farc rebels in an attack on a jungle base in the central Meta region...
U.S. and Turkey to Step Up ‘Nonlethal' Aid to Rebels in Syria
New York Times – 26 March 2012 – Turkey and the United States plan to provide "nonlethal” assistance, like communications equipment and medical supplies, directly to opposition groups insideSyria, and will urge other allies to do so as well...
Shots fired by US Embassy in Nigeria; no injuries
CBS News – 26 March 2012 at 14:05 ET – The U.S. Embassy in Nigeria's capital says there were gunshots fired near its offices, though no one was injured....
Al-Shabab forces loses Somali base of El Bur
BBC News – 26 March 2012 at 13:04 ET – Ethiopian forces and Somali pro-government troops have captured a major base from al-Shabab militants...
Father, son killed in attack on Somalia refugee camp
Fox News – 26 March 2012 – Residents near a refugee camp in Somalia's capital said Monday that mortars landed on the camp overnight, killing a father and a son and wounding seven others....
Nato troops killed by man dressed in Afghan army uniform
BBC News – 26 March 2012 at 6:08 ET – A man wearing an Afghan army uniform has shot and killed two international service members, according to Nato....
Siege gunman's brother ‘outraged' at charges, lawyer says
CNN – 26 March 2012 at 5:07 EDT – The brother of a gunman killed in a siege in southwestern France is outraged to have been charged in connection with an alleged shooting spree by Mohammed Merah, his lawyer said Monday...
Mass Terrorism Trial Begins In Kazakhstan
Radio Free Europe – 26 March 2012 – The trial of 47 men charged with terrorism has begun in the western Kazakh city of Atyrau....
Afghans fear for future when NATO forces leave
AFP – 26 March 2012 – The shattered shell of Kabul's Darul Aman palace bears witness to Afghanistan's years of brutal civil war, a history many Afghans fear will be renewed when foreign troops leave in 2014....
U.S. says Iran active in north, south Yemen – report
Reuters – 26 March 2012 – Washington believes Iran is working with Shi'ite Muslim rebels in northern Yemen and secessionists in the country's south to expand its influence at the expense of Yemen's Gulf neighbours...
Sarkozy to bar radical imams from entering France
Reuters – 26 March 2012 - France will bar radical Muslim preachers from entering the country to participate in an Islamic conference next month as part of a crackdown after shootings by an al Qaeda-inspired gunman...
French gunman's brother suspected of complicity
Reuters – 26 March 2012 – The brother of an al Qaeda-inspired gunman shot dead by French police was placed under investigation on Sunday for suspected complicity in a killing spree that has made security a central election issue...
Taliban Bomber Kills 5 Rival Militants in Pakistan
New York Times - 23 March 2012 at 10:27 ET - A Taliban suicide bomber attacked the headquarters of a rival group Friday in northwest Pakistan, killing at least five fighters...
France asks: Were warnings missed on Toulouse killer?
CNN – 23 March 2012 at 7:15 EDT – Did French intelligence services miss vital clues as Mohammed Merah showed signs of growing radicalization…
2 Killed, Primary School Bombed in North Nigeria
New York Times – 23 March 2012 at 6:59 ET – Authorities say suspected members of a radical Islamist sect have shot and killed an Islamic cleric and another man, while also planting a bomb at a local primary school…
Japan readies anti-missile defence for N Korea rocket
BBC News – 23 March 2012 at 6:12 ET – Japan has ordered missile defence systems to be prepared in response to the planned launch of a North Korean long-range rocket next month…
19 detainees flee north Iraq prison
AFP – 23 March 2012 – Nineteen detainees, including two men sentenced to death and several alleged Al-Qaeda leaders, escaped from a prison in northern Iraq on Friday, in what one politician said was an inside job….
U.S. Agencies Allowed to Keep Residents' Data for Five Years
Bloomberg – 23 March 2012 – The U.S. intelligence community will be able to retain data on residents with no connection to terrorism for as long as five years under new guidelines….
Damaging coup rumours ricochet across China
BBC News – 22 March 2012 at 23:27 ET – OK, before you get too agitated, there is no coup. To be more exact, as far as we know there has been no attempted coup….
Clashes Across Syria Despite U.N. Ceasefire Call
New York Times - 22 March 2012 at 15:29 ET - More than 40 people died in clashes across Syria on Thursday, opposition activists said, as a U.N. Security Council call for an immediate end to the fighting fell on deaf ears....
Al Qaeda leader calls for Afghans to rise up against Western troops
CNN - 22 March 2012 - Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri calls on Afghans to rise up against Western troops -- especially American forces -- in their country and back the Taliban...
French attacks could inspire next generation of terrorists: Expert
CNN – 22 March 2012 at 7:38 ET – "Lone wolves" who plot to carry out small-scale attacks on soft targets, like those in which seven people have been killed in France, could be the future of terrorism…
Kurdish PKK rebels and police killed in Turkey clashes
BBC News – 22 March 2012 at 7:22 ET – Seven Kurdish rebels and six Turkish police officers have been killed in clashes in the far south-east of the country…
Shelling in Yemen Kills 29 Al-Qaida Militants
New York Times – 22 March 2012 at 6:42 ET – Yemeni officials say navy ships have shelled coastal regions in the southern province of Abyan, killing 29 al-Qaida militants….
Many of today's terrorists are ‘American kids'
WTOP – 22 March 2012 – In 2006, Zachary Adam Chesser was a normal kid growing up in Fairfax County, Va. He was on the football and rowing teams and a member of the breakdancing club at Oakton High School….
French Slaying Suspect Dead After Police Raid Hideout
New York Times - 22 March 2012 - A 23-year-old Frenchman who claimed responsibility for the killings of four men and three children died on Thursday after jumping from a balcony as security forces stormed the apartment where had been holed up for more than 30 hours...
French authorities: Explosions turn up pressure on suspect in Jewish school slayings
MSNBC - 21 March 2012 at 19:35 ET - Three large explosions were heard late Wednesday at the siege of a suspect wanted in the killings ofthree Jewish children, a rabbi and three soldiers....
NYPD says Iran has conducted surveillanced in New York City
Fox News - 21 March 2012 - Iranians with ties to the Tehran government have been caught videotaping and snapping photos of New York City landmarks several times over the past decade, a top city police official testified Wednesday...
UN chief says ‘extremely dangerous' Syrian crisis could have global repercussions
Washington Post – 21 March 2012 at 5:34 ET – The "extremely dangerous” conflict in Syria could have global repercussions, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Wednesday as fresh violence erupted outside the capital and in the south….
Somali pirates free British hostage, en route to Kenya
Reuters – 21 March 2012 – Somali pirates freed British hostage Judith Tebbutt on Wednesday after a ransom was paid, with footage showing her rushing onto an airplane more than six months after gunmen killed her husband and kidnapped her from a luxury beach resort in neighbouring Kenya….
Nigeria: Boko Haram Ends Talks With ‘Government of Unbelievers'
International Business Times – 21 March 2012 – The Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram has stopped all talks with theNigerian government, saying it could not trust a government of "unbelievers"….
Al Qaeda Affiliates' Command Structures Questioned in New Report
Homeland Security Today – 21 March 2012 – With reliable human intelligence having become even more sparse from within the Yemen-based Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) following the drone strike in Sept.that killedits chief recruiter and operations mastermind, Anwar Al Awlaki, a debate has waged among Western counterterror authorities over the internal command structure of AQAP and Al Shabaab...
France shootings suspect says he'll surrender
CBS News - 21 March 2012 at 7:32 ET - French police officers raided a house in the southern city of Toulouse early Wednesday morning, cornering a suspect in the killing three Jewish schoolchildren, a rabbi and three paratroopers in three separate attacks...
Police in pre-dawn raid on Toulouse shooting suspect
BBC News - 21 March 2012 at 00:28 ET - French police searching for a gunman who shot dead four people at a Jewish school in Toulouse have launched a raid in the north of the city....
French Police Execute Raid on Toulouse Jewish School Shooting Suspects
New York Times - 21 March 2012 at 00:25 ET - Two French police officers were injured in a shoot-out during a raid on a house in Toulouse on Wednesday to arrest suspects in the killings of three children and a rabbi at a Jewish school in southwest France this week...
Syrian Forces Take Eastern City From Rebels
New York Times - 20 March 2012 at 15:11 ET - Syrian soldiers backed by tanks pushed into Deir el-Zour on Tuesday, seizing control of the eastern city after brief clashes with rebel forces that had held it for a few days...
Racist Killer in France Could Strike Again-Prosecutor
New York Times - 20 March 2012 at 13:34 ET - A gunman who shot dead three Jewish children and a rabbi on Monday and three soldiers last week in southwest France could kill again....
Toulouse school killer ‘had camera around his neck'
BBC News – 20 March 2012 at 7:49 ET – The man who killed four people at a Jewish school in Toulouse had a camera around his neck and may have filmed the scene, France's interior minister says….
Toulouse Serial Killer's Motives Remain Obscure
Der Spiegel – 20 March 2012 – A massive manhunt for the perpetrator of the Toulouse school shooting is under way in France, but police have few clues about the identity of the killer or his motives.…
Dozens killed in attacks across Iraq ahead of Arab League summit
Washington Post – 20 March 2012 at 6:08 ET – At least 36 people were killed across Iraq on Tuesday by a series of car bombs and improvised explosive devices, despite tight security ahead of next week's meeting of the Arab League….
French official says gunman may have filmed attack on Jewish school
Washington Post – 20 March 2012 at 5:47 ET – The French government imposed a high-level anti-terrorism alert as police scoured southwest France on Tuesday in search of a gunman who methodically killed a rabbi and three young children as they gathered for classes at a Jewish school in Toulouse….
Deadly explosions in series of attacks on Iraqi cities
BBC News – 20 March 2012 at 5:22 ET – At least 38 people have been killed in a series of co-ordinated attacks across Iraq, officials say….
An American Jihadist in Somalia Claims His Colleagues Want to Kill Him
New York Times – 20 March 2012 – Omar Shafik Hammami, an Alabama native who traveled to Somalia in 2006 to join a radical Islamist group, has apparently come to regret his choices….
France shooting: Toulouse Jewish school attack kills four
BBC News - 19 March 2012 at 7:57 ET - A gunman on a scooter has opened fire on a Jewish school in the French city of Toulouse, killing three children and a teacher, police say....
German-Afghan Man Being Tried on Al-Qaida Charges
New York Times – 19 March 2012 – A German-Afghan man whose information prompted terrorism warnings across Europe in 2010 went on trial in western Germany on Monday on charges that he was a member of al-Qaida and another terrorist group…
Six Somali Civilians Die in Attack Near Presidential Palace
Bloomberg – 19 March 2012 – Six Somali civilians died when mortars slammed into a camp for displaced people near the presidential palace in the capital, Mogadishu…
American teacher killed by gunmen in Yemen to protest Christian proselytizing by Westerners
Washington Post – 19 March 2012 – Militants in Yemen have killed an American teacher to protest Christian proselytizing by Westerners….
Police shoot dead five terror suspects in Bali
Telegraph – 19 March 2012 – Five suspected militants who had identified and surveyed targets for attack on the holiday resort of Bali have been shot dead by Indonesian police…
Syrian rebels 'in Damascus firefight'
BBC News - 18 March 2012 at 22:36 ET - A firefight is reported to have erupted in Syria's capital, Damascus, between the rebel Free Syria Army and the forces of President Bashar al-Assad....
Blast hits Aleppo; clashes and protests across Syria
Reuters - 18 March 2012 at 12:02 EDT - A car bomb ripped through a residential area of Syria's second city Aleppo on Sunday, a day after twin blasts killed 27 in the capital Damascus....
Twin bombings in Damascus kill at least 27, almost 100 hurt
Reuters - 17 March 2012 at 10:44 EDT - Two explosions struck the heart of Damascus on Saturday, killing at least 27 people in an attack on security installations that state television blamed on "terrorists" seeking to oust Syrian President Bashar al-Assad...
Osama Bin Laden 'plotted to kill Obama' before death
BBC News - 17 March 2012 at 7:54 ET - Osama bin Laden was plotting to kill US President Barack Obama...
Belarus Executes Man, 26, Convicted in Subway Bombing
New York Times - 17 March 2012 - A man sentenced to death in connection with the bombing of a subway station in Belarus has been executed, the man's family said Saturday....
Congo Under Scrutiny Over Hezbollah Business Links
New York Times – 16 March 2012 at 10:42 ET – Democratic Republic of Congo has awarded lucrative forestry concessions to a company controlled by a Lebanese businessman who also runs a firm subject to sanctions by the United States as a front for Hezbollah….
Norway police say future Breivik-style attacks possible
BBC News – 16 March 2012 at 9:45 ET – Norway's domestic intelligence agency (PST) has warned that new Breivik-style attacks are possible, saying it had no way of uncovering his plot….
Generals Awaiting Panetta Apparently Targeted by Attacker
New York Times – 16 March 2012 – An Afghan interpreter in a speeding truck tried to run down a top American commander and his British deputy, forcing the two and others to scatter as Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta's plane taxied toward them at a military base in Afghanistan….
Syria unrest: Turkish national urged to return home
BBC News – 16 March 2012 at 7:25 ET – Turkey has urged its citizens to leave Syria, saying developments there have led to "serious security risks"….
Gulf States Shun Syria's Assad as Fighting Continues
New York Times – 16 March 2012 – Syria's diplomatic isolation in the Arab world deepened on Friday as four more Gulf states were reported to be closing their embassies in Damascus…
Paratroop murders at Montauban baffle France
BBC News – 16 March 2012 at 6:49 ET – France's defence minister has said no theories are being ruled out after two paratroopers were shot dead and a third injured on a southern French street….
Port Richmond Man Busted in Terrorism Case: Authorities
NBC Philadelphia – 16 March 2012 at 6:38 ET – A Philadelphia man was arrested Thursday and charged in an alleged plot to provide support to an Uzbek terrorist organization that authorities say is engaging NATO coalition and U.S. forces in Afghanistan….
Nigeria starts mediated talks with violent Islamist sect Boko Haram
Reuters – 16 March 2012 – Nigeria's government has in the last week held its first indirect peace talks with Islamist sect Boko Haram, meeting mediators to discuss a possible ceasefire…
Woman quizzed over ‘synagogue plot'
UK Press Association – 16 March 2012 – A south London woman arrested under terror laws was being questioned as part of a wider investigation into an alleged "super-secret" Facebook plot to blow up an Italian synagogue….
Few options for Afghan, U.S. leaders after Kandahar massacre
Reuters – 16 March 2012 – President Hamid Karzai exploded in anger when he learned last week that an American soldier had massacred 16 Afghan civilians, including nine children….
Three soldiers shot in France
The Guardian – 15 March 2012 at 14:05 EDT – Two French soldiers have died and another is critically injured after being shot in broad daylight by a gunman on a scooter near their barracks in south-west France….
Ethiopia carries out ground attacks on military posts inside archrival Eritrea
Washington Post - 15 March 2012 - Ethiopian forces entered archrival Eritrea on Thursday and carried out what a government spokesman described as "a successful attack” against military posts...
Italian police arrest terrorism suspect
Associated Press - 15 March 2012 - Italian police arrested a Moroccan man early Thursday on suspicion of plotting an attack against a Milan synagogue after observing that the suspect had used a Google maps application to case security there...
Taliban suspends peace talks with U.S. as Panetta concludes Karzai visit
Washington Post – 15 March 2012 at 8:00 ET – The Afghan Taliban has suspended preliminary peace talks with the United States and will forgo opening a political office in Doha due to Washington's "alternating and ever changing position,” the group said in a statement on Thursday….
Afghan driver in Bastion attack ‘aiming at marines'
BBC News – 15 March 2012 at 7:26 ET – The Afghan man who drove a lorry near the runway of an air base as US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta arrived there on Wednesday was heading for a welcoming party of US marines…
Afghans Angry Over Removal of Accused US Soldier
New York Times – 15 March 2012 at 6:41 ET – Afghan lawmakers expressed anger Thursday over the U.S. move to fly an American soldier accused of killing 16 civilians out of the country to Kuwait…
13 women and children killed in Afghan bomb
AFP – 15 March 2012 - A Taliban roadside bomb tore through a civilian vehicle in southern Afghanistan on Thursday, killing nine children and four women…
Nigerian ‘mastermind' of British and Italian hostage kidnap dies
Telegraph – 14 March 2012 – The alleged Nigerian mastermind of the kidnapping of Briton Christopher McManus and Italian Franco Lamolinara killed last week amid a rescue attempt has died of gunshot wounds sustained during his arrest…
Somali doctor: ‘They are taking my land so I can't welcome the poor'
The Guardian – 14 March 2012 – Dr Hawa Abdi's camp, home for up to 90,000 displaced people, is threatened by al-Shabaab militants…
Leon Panetta avoids suspected attack as he lands in Afghanistan
The Guardian - 14 March 2012 at 12:30 EDT - A car burst into flames within 100 metres of the US defence secretary today at Nato's massive military base in the heart of Afghanistan....
On the Turkish Border, a Stream of Fleeing Syrians
New York Times – 14 March 2012 at 7:19 ET – The Syrian refugees appeared silently through the late morning fog, at first one by one, then in groups of five or more…
Al-Shabab Says It Carried Out Mogadishu Attack, 3 Dead
Voice of America – 14 March 2012 at 6:45 ET – The Islamist militant group al-Shabab says it carried out a deadly attack in the Somali capital Mogadishu…
Long-Planned Visit Lands Panetta in Tense Afghanistan
New York Times – 14 March 2012 – Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta landed here Wednesday morning on an unannounced and tense trip…
Two on terrorist watch list stopped in Laurel in 2011
Baltimore Sun – 14 March 2012 – Two individuals on a federal terrorist watch list were stopped in a vehicle by Laurel police at some point in 2011…
14 Killed in Iraq Robbery, Attacks
Time Magazine – 12 March 2012 – Attacks against al-Qaeda's favorite targets in Iraq killed 14 people Monday as insurgents struck security forces, a government office and jewelry stores…
Arab League: Syria Commits Crimes Against Humanity
NPR - 13 March 2012 at 10:33 ET - The Arab League chief says the Syrian regime's killing of civilians amounts to crimes against humanity and is calling for an international inquiry....
Taliban Fire on Afghan Officials at Attack Site
ABC News – 13 March 2012 – Taliban militants opened fire Tuesday on a delegation of senior Afghan officials — including two of President Hamid Karzai's brothers — visiting villages in southern Afghanistan where a U.S. soldier is suspected of killing 16 civilians….
Imam dies in mosque arson attack in Belgian capital
BBC News – 13 March 2012 at 7:02 ET – An imam has been killed in an arson attack at a Shia mosque in the Brussels suburb of Anderlecht….
3 killed in suicide attack in Yemen
CNN – 13 March 2012 at 6:54 EDT – Three soldiers in Yemen were killed and eight others injured Tuesday morning when a suicide bomber attacked a checkpoint in the province of al-Baitha…
Security developments in Pakistan
Chicago Tribune – 13 March 2012 at 6:48 EDT – A suspected U.S. drone aircraft fired missiles at a vehicle in the Birmal area of the South Waziristan tribal region, near the Afghanistan border, killing at least six suspected militants…
Death sentence in absentia for Qaeda north Africa chief
AFP – 13 March 2012 – An Algerian court sentenced the head of Al-Qaeda's north African offshoot to death in his absence Tuesday for a string of 2007 attacks, including a deadly bombing at the prime minister's office….
Security Council Divided Amid Calls for Halt to Syrian Violence
Voice of America – 13 March 2012 – The United States, Britain and Russia have each called for a halt to the violence in Syria, but the United Nations Security Council remains divided on how to resolve the crisis in the country….
Pakistan Tells White House to End Drone Attacks on Terrorists
Businessweek – 12 March 2012 – Pakistan has told the White House it no longer will permit U.S. drones to use its airspace to attack militants and collect intelligence on al-Qaeda and other groups...
As Rockets Fly, New Conditions Shape Fight in Gaza
New York Times – 12 March 2012 – Cross-border fighting between Israel and Palestinian militant groups in Gaza continued for a fourth day on Monday, with the Palestinian death toll rising from Israeli airstrikes and the militants' rockets reaching farther into Israel…
‘Many dead' in fresh Homs attack
BBC News – 12 March 2012 at 7:53 ET – Activists believe as many as 47 people have been killed in an attack by pro-government militia in the embattled Syrian city of Homs….
Israeli Air Strikes Kill Two Gaza Gunmen, Civilian
New York Times – 12 March 2012 at 6:16 ET- Israeli air strikes killed two Palestinian militants and a civilian in the Gaza Strip on Monday in a fourth day of cross-border hostilities.…
US fears reprisals after Afghan massacre in Kandahar
BBC News –12 March 5:36 ET – US troops in Afghanistan have been placed on alert following the killings of 16 Afghan civilians by a US soldier….
Four arrested over deadly Kenyan grenade attacks
Telegraph – 12 March 2012 – Four people have been arrested in connection with grenade attacks that killed six people in Nairobi over the weekend, police said, in violence blamed on supporters of Somali Al-Shebaab insurgents….
Car Bomb Explodes Near Nigeria Church; 10 Killed
New York Times – 11 March 2012 at 17:20 ET – A suicide car bomber attacked a Catholic church Sunday in the middle of Mass, killing at least 10 people in the blast…
Israel Monitors Seven Iranian Targets
International Business Times – 11 March 2012 – Israeli defence planners have drawn up a monitoring list of Iran's seven most important nuclear-related facilities, from uranium mines to enrichment plants to power stations to potential weapon development silos…..
9/11 mastermind set to face US military court
France 24 – 11 March 2012 – Nine years after his arrest in Pakistan, self-proclaimed 9/11 mastermind Khaled Sheikh Mohammed could soon be back in court for the much-awaited "trial of the century."…
Israeli Gaza air strike kills militant leader
BBC News - 09 March 2012 at 12:54 ET - A senior Palestinian militant leader has been killed in an Israeli air strike in Gaza, Israeli and Palestinian sources say....
Israel weights risk, benefits of Iran strike
CNN - 09 March 2012 at 11:22 EST - A threatened Israeli attack on Iran's nuclear program carries enormous risks for the Jewish state, including international isolation, retaliation at home and abroad, and steep economic costs....
Israeli airstrike kills militant commander in Gaza
Associated Press - 09 March 2012 - An Israeli airstrike killed a top Palestinian militant commander and a second militant in Gaza on Friday in the highest profile attack against the coastal strip in months....
Judge Sets Hearing in Georgia Terror Plot Case
My Fox Atlanta - 09 March 2012 - A federal judge has set an April 10 court hearing to consider claims that the physical and mental health of one of the men accused of a terror plot are continuing to deteriorate...
Al-Qaida Confirms Death of Pakistani Militant
New York Times – 09 March 2012 at 7:03 ET – Al-Qaida has confirmed an American drone strike killed one of its commanders in Pakistan last month…
Syria crisis: Kofi Annan calls for dialogue spark anger
BBC News – 09 March 2012 at 6:53 ET – Syrian opposition activists have angrily rejected calls by Kofi Annan, the UN and Arab League envoy to Syria, for dialogue with the government….
NC judge releases terrorism beheading plot suspect
Las Vegas Sun – 09 March 2012 – A federal judge is allowing a North Carolina woman to be released on house arrest pending her trial on charges that she conspired to behead witnesses in a terror case….
Italian president condemns British raid in Nigeria
Reuters – 09 March 2012 – President Giorgio Napolitano led a chorus of condemnation on Friday of Britain's failure to inform the Italian government before launching a botched rescue mission with Nigerian forces that led to the deaths of British and Italian hostages held by a militant Islamist group….
Prosecutors block release of Uzbek refugee
UPI – 08 March 2012 – U.S. prosecutors say an Uzbek refugee arrested in January on a terrorism charge is too dangerous to be released on bond….
Unpredictable ‘lone wolves' pose biggest Olympic security threat
The Guardian – 08 March 2012 – The Olympic stadium. In the past five years it is 'lone wolves' who have come closest to bringing death and destruction to the streets in the name of Islamist extremism.…
Sovereign Citizens: Radicals Exercising ‘God-Given Rights' or Fueling Domestic Terrorism?
ABC News – 08 March 2012 – Sovereign citizens are a loosely-organized collection of groups and individuals who believe they are both above the law and "true defenders of the Constitution."…
Two hostages killed in failed rescue
Financial Times - 08 March 2012 - An attempt by British and Nigerian military personnel to rescue two hostages held by a terrorist group in Nigeria failed...
Israel Asks U.S. for Arms That Could Aid Iran Strike
New York Times – 08 March 2012 at 7:29 ET – Israel has asked the United States for advanced "bunker-buster" bombs and refueling planes that could improve its ability to attack Iran's underground nuclear sites…
Israel's "tunnel rats” brace for new guerrilla war
Reuters – 08 March 2012 – Fearing a surge in tunnel and bunker construction by Lebanon's Hezbollah and Palestinian militants, Israel is training its troops to hunt below ground with robot probes and sniffer dogs….
Syria's deputy oil minister announces resignation
BBC News - 07 March 2012 at 21:01 ET - Syria's deputy oil minister has announced his resignation, saying he is joining the anti-government revolt....
A Personal Quest to Clarify Bin Laden's Last Days Yields Vexing Accounts
New York Times – 07 March 2012 – In his quest for the truth about his country's most notorious guest, Shaukat Qadir started where it all ended: the room where Osama bin Laden was killed….
Former soldier from Maryland indicted on charge of trying to join terrorist organization
Washington Post – 07 March 2012 – A former Army soldier has been indicted in Maryland on charges that he tried to join a terrorist organization in Somalia….
Terrorist threat level 'severe'
UK Press Association - 07 March 2012 - The terrorist threat level in Northern Ireland "remains severe", Northern Ireland Secretary Owen Paterson has said....
Norway attacks: Breivik charged with terror attacks
BBC News – 07 March 2012 at 7:06 ET – Anders Behring Breivik, who confessed to killing 77 people and injuring 151 in Norway, has been formally charged with committing acts of terror….
Sect Attacks Police Station, Church in Nigeria
New York Times – 07 March 2012 at 5:57 ET – Authorities say at least two people are dead in separate attacks blamed on a radical Islamist sect in northeast Nigeria that saw a police station and a church blown up with explosives….
Journalist Arrested in New Delhi Bomb Attack
ABC News – 07 March 2012 – Police arrested an Indian journalist in connection with last month's bombing of an Israeli diplomatic vehicle in New Delhi…
Explosion Kills Six British Soldiers in Afghanistan
New York Times – 07 March 2012 – Six British soldiers were killed when their armored vehicle struck an explosive device in southern Afghanistan…
CFATS Chemical Security Program Programmatically Sound Despite Workforce Issues, Regulators Say
Homeland Security Today – 07 March 2012 – In a House Homeland Security hearing Tuesday, Republicans expressed greater confidence than Democrats in the Obama administration's handling of management concerns in the chemical facility security program…
U.S., Yemen Restart Training
Wall Street Journal – 06 March 2012 at 18:33 ET – U.S. and Yemeni officials have agreed to restart a controversial military-training program to help the new president tackle emboldened al Qaeda militants….
U.S. & others offer Iran nuclear negotiations
CNN - 06 March 2012 at 8:39 EST - The United States and other countries offered to resume negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program on Tuesday as Iran signaled a willingness to let international inspectors visit a key military base....
Iran to Allow UN Nuke Inspectors Into Army Site
New York Times – 06 March 2012 at 7:35 ET – Iran will grant U.N. inspectors access to a military complex where the U.N. nuclear agency suspects secret atomic work has been carried out…
Army Defuses Firebomb Near Belfast Apartments
New York Times – 06 March 2012 at 7:23 ET- Northern Ireland's police force says a firebomb has been safely defused outside an apartment block in a Catholic district of Belfast….
Death toll of Yemeni troops from al-Qaida assault rises to 185; army ‘fearful' after defeat
Washington Post – 06 March 2012 at 7:12 ET –The death toll from an al-Qaida assault on a military base in southern Yemen has risen to 185 government soldiers, military and medical officials said Tuesday. Many soldiers' bodies were found mutilated and some were headless….
Jakarta mail bomber gets 18 years in jail
UPI – 06 March 2012 at 6:30 ET – An Indonesian court sentenced the mastermind of a 2-year bombing campaign to 18 years in prison on terrorism charges….
Israel warns time short to stop Iranian nuclear plans
BBC News – 06 March 2012 at 5:56 ET – Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu has said time is running out to put a stop to Iran's nuclear programme….
Holder says US can target citizens overseas in terrorism fight
Stars and Stripes – 05 March 2012 – Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. defended the U.S. right to target and kill American citizens overseas in the war on terror, telling an audience at the Northwestern University law school that when those individuals pose a real threat to this country and cannot be captured unharmed…
Iraqi Militants Execute Police, Commanders
Wall Street Journal – 05 March 2012 at 16:54 ET – Gunmen executed a former Iraqi counterterrorism commander and roughly two dozen policemen in a brazen operation that further undermined a government push for insurgents to lay down their arms….
Md. Teen plans guilty plea in terror case in Pa.; charged with helping woman dubbed Jihad Jane
Washington Post – 05 March 2012 – A Maryland teenager charged in a global terrorism plot plans to plead guilty in Pennsylvania….
Militants Attack Egypt Gas Pipeline
Wall Street Journal 2012 at 13:39 ET - Egyptian security officials say militants have again blown up a gas pipeline in the Sinai Peninsula that transports fuel to neighboring Israel....
Taliban link Afghan attack to Quran burning
CNN - 05 March 2012 - A suicide bomber blew himself up at an entrance to Afghanistan's Bagram Airfield on Monday, an attack the Taliban called revenge for the burning of Qurans by U.S. troops there last month....
139 Dead in Al-Qaida Attack on Yemen Army
New York Times - 05 March 2012 at 11:35 ET - Sneaking across the desert behind army lines, al-Qaida militants launched a surprise attack against military bases in south Yemen, killing 107 soldiers and capturing heavy weapons they later used to kill more troops...
Syrians fleeing Homs accuse troops of atrocities
BBC News – 05 March 2012 at 7:09 ET – People fleeing the central Syrian city of Homs have told the BBC that security forces are committing atrocities there….
Gunmen kill 27 in raids on west Iraq checkpoints
Reuters – 05 March 2012 at 6:39 EST – Gunmen disguised as police raided checkpoints and homes in western Iraq on Monday, killing at least 27 members of the security forces…
Pakistan Taliban removes deputy head Maulvi Faqir Mohammad
BBC News – 05 March 2012 at 5:31 ET – The head of the Pakistani Taliban has removed his deputy commander, the militant group confirmed to the BBC, in a sign of a growing power struggle….
106 Dead in Yemen Fighting, 55 Troops Held Captive
ABC News – 05 March 2012 – Al-Qaida militants launched a surprise attack against army bases in southern Yemen, killing 78 soldiers, seizing weapons and parading 55 troops they had taken captive through the center of a town under their control…
Blast Near Turkish PM's Office Wounds 1 Person
New York Times – 05 March 2012 at 3:31 ET – Police say a bomb blast near the office of Turkey's prime minister has wounded one person….
US to outline legal backing for ‘targeted kill' programme
The Guardian – 05 March 2012 at 2:58 EST – The Obama administration is to outline how it says US laws empower the government to kill Americans overseas who engage in terrorism against their home country…
Denmark brings murder charges in Mohammed cartoon plot
Telegraph – 04 March 2012 – Danish prosecutors have charged four men for "attempted terrorism" over plans to kill the staff of a newspaper that carried controversial cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed….
NYC man gets 27 years in homegrown terror case
Wall Street Journal – 02 March 2012 – A New York City man was sentenced to 27 years in prison Friday for traveling to the Middle East in a failed bid to join al-Qaida and avenge abuse of Muslims by killing American troops….
Obama says he's not bluffing on Iran
CNN - 02 March 2012 at 13:02 EST - President Barack Obama says he isn't bluffing when he says Iran shouldn't have a nuclear weapon, but he cautions against a premature Israeli strike against the Islamic republic....
Syria: No Red Cross access to battered district
CBS News - 02 March 2012 at 11:30 ET - The International Committee of the Red Cross says Syrian authorities have blocked an aid convoy carrying emergency supplies from entering the Baba Amr district in the city of Homs....
Suicide Bomber Hits Pakistan Militant Base; 23 Die
New York Times – 02 March 2012 – A suicide bomber attacked the headquarters of a rival insurgent group in northwest Pakistan on Friday, killing 23 of its supporters in an outbreak of factional fighting…
Somali al-Shabab base captured outside Mogadishu
BBC News – 02 March 2012 at 7:34 ET – A major base of Somalia's al-Shabab militants has been captured on the outskirts of the capital by government troops backed by African Union forces….
Kenyan police let British terror suspect escape the net
Telegraph – 02 March 2012 – Kenyan police unwittingly allowed a British terror suspect to slip through their fingers when they arrested another Briton planning a bombing outrage, it emerged last night….
Red Cross convoy arrives in Homs bringing Baba Amr aid
BBC News – 02 March 2012 – A Red Cross convoy has arrived in the Syrian city of Homs and is set to deliver supplies to the Baba Amr district after a month-long siege….
Yemen rebels say bomb wounds 22 at protest in north
Chicago Tribune – 02 March 2012 – A bomb blast hit an anti-U.S. protest in northern Yemen on Friday, injuring at least 22 people…
47 Charged With Terrorism in West Kazakhstan, Nazarbaev Slams OSCE
Radio Free Europe – 02 March 2012 – Forty-seven people charged with terrorism are expected to face trial in Kazakhstan's western city of Atyrau.…
New indictment issued over killing of Hariri: Lebanese source
Chicago Tribune – 02 March 2012 – The prosecutor of the U.N.-backed tribunal investigating the killing of former Lebanese prime minister Rafik al-Hariri has issued a new indictment adding a fifth name to a list of suspects in the 2005 attack…
U.N. Security Council Demands Syria Access
Wall Street Journal - 01 March 2012 at 14:11 ET - The U.N. Security Council, in its first statement on Syria in seven months, deplored the rapidly deteriorating humanitarian situation there and called on the government to grant U.N. humanitarian chief Valerie Amos "immediate and unhindered access."...
Official: School Set on Fire in Northeast Nigeria
New York Times - 01 March 2012 - An army official says assailants set fire to a school in Nigeria's northeast...
Syria crisis: Opposition sets up military bureau
BBC News – 01 March 201 at 7:50 ET – Syria's main political opposition group has formed a military bureau to unify armed resistance to the government….
Nato soldiers shot dead in Afghanistan amid Koran anger
BBC News – 01 March 2012 at 7:05 ET – Nato says two of its soldiers have been shot dead on a base in Afghanistan, the latest of several attacks after the burning of the Koran by US soldiers….
Bomb injures 15 police near Turkey ruling party HQ
Reuters – 01 March 2012 – A remote control bomb injured 15 police officers and one civilian on Thursday as a police minibus passed close to the Istanbul headquarters of Turkey's ruling AK Party…
Israel Unveils New Underground Bomb Shelter Amid War Cry on Iran
International Business Times – 01 March 2012 – Israel has unveiled a new underground shelter, said to be the most advanced public underground bomb shelter which can accommodate up to 1,600 people, it has been reported….
City looking to buy ‘blast resistant' trash cans to guard against terrorism
Chicago Sun Times – 01 March 2012 – Chicago is looking to purchase "blast resistant” trash containers to "eliminate or significantly reduce fatalities, injuries and structural failures” in the event of "terrorist bombs.”…